Pork Belly Porchetta
with Fennel, Rosemary & Sage
(+ 6 hours+)
3 1/2 hours
What you need to Get:
1.5 kg Pork Belly (Rind on)
+ 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons sea salt
+ 2 tablespoons olive oil
+ 3 tablespoons rosemary, minced
+ 1 ½ tablespoons dried sage
+ 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
+ 8 garlic cloves, minced
+ 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
+ 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
+ 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
What you need to do:
1. Place the Pork Belly on a clean surface. Wipe the rind of any moisture with a paper towel. Score the entire rind with a sharp knife, making sure not to cut into the meat.
2. Toast the fennels seeds, ground in a mortar and mix all spice rub ingredients until well combined. Set the Pork Belly, skin-side down. Sprinkle the spice rub onto the the Pork Belly and generously rub onto the flesh of the meat.
3. Roll the Pork belly into a tight log with the skin on the outside. Tie the Pork in two-centimetre intervals with butcher strings.
4. Place rolled Roast on a rack. Rub the Pork rind with oil, then salt generously into the scores and into the rind. Refrigerate uncovered overnight or for about 6 hours to dry the skin.
5. Preheat oven to 220° C. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the rind begins to crackle. Reduce the temperature 150 °C and cook for a further 2 hours. In the last 10-15 minutes, turn the heat back to 240 °C to get the skin extra crispy.
6. Once cooked through, transfer to a plate and rest for 10 minutes. Remove the butcher strings before carving.