CHAR SIU (CHINESE BBQ) PORK
10 minutes + 4 hours
1.4 kg boneless Bruemar Pork Butt
¼ cup granulated white sugar (50g)
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon five spice powder
¼ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons molasses
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
Cheat – add some Lee Kum Kee Char Siu sauce for colour and flavour
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon hot water
1. Cut pork into long strips about 3 inches thick. Don’t trim excess fat.
2. Combine sauce ingredients to make the marinade.
3. Reserve some of marinade to baste later. Rub pork with remainder of marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours+
4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees with rack positioned in upper third.
5. Line a sheet pan with foil and place a metal rack on top. Place the pork on the rack, leaving as much space as possible between pieces. Pour 1 ½ cups water into the pan below the rack to prevent smoking.
6. Roast for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, flip the pork. If the bottom of the pan is dry, add another cup of water. Turn the pan 180 degrees to ensure even roasting. Roast another 20 minutes.
7. Combine the reserved marinade with honey and 1 tablespoon hot water.
8. After 45 minutes of total roasting time, baste the pork, flip it, and baste the other side as well. Roast for a final 10 minutes while basting.
9. Remove from the oven and baste with the last of reserved marinade sauce. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.